Why to choose synthetic turf for a padel court and how to ensure its durability
Quality and advantages of synthetic turf padel courts: innovative solutions that guarantee excellent performance for players.
A direct consequence of the growth of padel among athletes of all ages is the need for new courts, with increasingly innovative characteristics, starting with the surface. Synthetic turf is one of the most popular materials used to make padel courts, with considerable advantages and reduced maintenance requirements that allow the court’s excellent performance to be maintained over long periods.
Why choose synthetic turf over other materials
Today, when building or renovating a padel court, a synthetic turf is almost always a first choice, which has taken the place of previously used materials, such as porous or polished concrete and synthetic resins.
Indeed, artificial turf is made to offer optimal biomechanical characteristics: elasticity, shock absorption and homogeneous ball bounce. Installing a synthetic turf surface for padel provides uniform angular and vertical ball bounce values on the entire court, in all periods of the year, ensuring comfort and high-level performance for athletes.
Differences in the MONDO synthetic turf range
MONDO Tufting's research and production centre in Borja (Spain) designs and manufactures MONDO synthetic turfs specifically for padel, suitable for all levels of play, from amateur to professional. MONDO synthetic turf systems for padel, developed in collaboration with professional players and the World Padel Tour technical team, were the first to be approved by the Spanish Paddle Federation.
MONDO manufactures synthetic turf with a fibre height of between 10 and 12 mm, suitable for quartz sand fillers. Let's look at the latest generation of synthetic turf for padel courts developed by MONDO:
- Supercourt XN™, the official product of the World Padel Tour, combines STX textured monofilaments with XNOVA textured monofilaments for increased playing speed and maximum consistency in angular and vertical ball bounce values. The textured fibres of the turf completely encapsulate the sand filler, providing an excellent aesthetic result, uniform playing surface, maximum wear resistance and minimal risk of abrasion in case of slips or falls.
- STX 96 A: the Mondoturf artificial turf system made of STX monofilaments with a straight structure, central rib and 260 micron thickness. The STX monofilaments, made of selected polyethylene, provide the turf with a perfect dimensional memory: after contact with the ball and the player's shoes, the fibres quickly return to their original state. The fibres also ensure greater resistance to the action of wear and tear from rubbing against the sand, reduced risk of abrasion for players in case of slips or falls and uniformity of the playing surface;
- NSF 70 A: the latest generation synthetic turf system composed of NSF fibrillated polypropylene filaments and silica sand infill. The 100% polypropylene fibre developed by MONDO has a denser cutting sequence and progressive fibrillation. The high melting temperature of the fibres makes MONDO systems with NSF fibrillate perfect for outdoor laying, even in extreme sunlight. MONDO fibrillated membranes are extremely soft, which helps to minimise the risk of abrasion in the event of falls or slips and increases the toughness of the fibres and their resistance to wear from rubbing against the sand filler.
All MONDO synthetic turf for padel is designed to maximise the durability of the fibres over time and to maintain constant biomechanical and playing conditions. In order to ensure an excellent quality of the court, it is necessary to carry out regular maintenance. Let's take a closer look at the main maintenance operations for an artificial turf padel court.
Maintenance work for a synthetic turf padel court
The maintenance of synthetic turf padel surfaces aims to safeguard the technical properties of the court over time, ensuring constant performance values of the system and helping athletes to achieve excellent performance.
The maintenance operations of a padel court, to be programmed according to the type of filament installed in the court, are divided into two types:
- ordinary or periodic maintenance: carried out regularly by the manager or owner of the court, aimed at cleaning the court itself and the proper maintenance of the playing surface. Main actions include: watering and brushing the surface of the turf, removal of debris and weeds from the surface of the court, inspection of marking lines and joints;
- extraordinary maintenance: entrusted to specialized companies, which includes a more specific cleaning of the turf, decompaction of the sand filler, repair of court elements such as joints and marking lines.
Are you interested in a synthetic turf for your padel court and would like to receive more information? Discover the synthetic turf surfaces for padel developed and manufactured by MONDO, Official Supplier of the World Padel Tour.
Contact us for further technical details and a custom quote.